Follow a few food safety rules! The most important is to decide of you plan on eating the eggs after they are dyed. If you won’t be eating the eggs, you can use any decorating materials you want and display the eggs anywhere for as long as you like. If you do want to eat the eggs, follow these rules:
- Wash your hands between all the steps of cooking, cooling, dyeing and decorating.
- Be sure that all the decorating materials you use are food safe.
- Keep the eggs refrigerated as much as possible by putting them back into the refrigerator whenever you’re not working with them.
- Dye the eggs in water warmer than the eggs so they don’t absorb the dye water.
- If hiding the decorated eggs, put them where they won’t come into contact with pets, other animals or birds or lawn chemicals.
- Eat uncracked, refrigerated hard-cooked eggs within a week of cooking them.