My aunt introduced me to this corn, black bean, and avocado salad at a family BBQ and I've been making it ever since. It's the perfect summer salad, full of fresh vegetables and loaded with taste.
We eat it alone as a fresh side salad, or you can even serve it as a topping for tortilla chips.
Here's a tip: If there is any of this corn, black bean, and avocado salad left over, serve it with poached eggs for breakfast the next morning. Delicious.
Corn, Black Bean, and Avocado Salad
- 2-3 ears of fresh corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped with seeds removed
- 1/2 of a red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 container of cherry tomatoes, each cut in half
- 1 ripe avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Tortilla, crisped and sliced into thin strips about 1 inch long (optional)
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sauté the corn, red pepper, jalapeño, and red onion in the olive oil just until tender. Place in bowl and let cool.
- Add tomato, avocado, and beans to the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all dressing ingredients together.
- Add dressing and mix together gently, being careful not to smash the avocado.
- Chill and serve. Add cilantro and top with tortilla strips just before serving.
Elisa Rispoli is the publisher for Macaroni KID West Morris, N.J.